A tale that might be an old joke, but that may also be a Cuban folktale
The bones of the story:
- Mouse family goes for a walk, gets accosted by a cat, and either mommy-mouse or daddy-mouse barks (like a dog) until the cat runs away.
- Moral: see why it’s helpful to speak another language, kids?
- Alternative: mouse family is at home when cat invades, sneaking around kitchen in search of food, make it up.
You can listen to the story here:Listen now
- South Africa kids joke commonly told in schools
- Storyteller Antonio Sacre cites this as a Cuba tale, told to him by his mother. He wrote a wonderful book that’s worth taking a look at: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1820204.The_Barking_Mouse.